I love these bread rolls with cheese and can’t get enough of them! So soft, filled with ooey-gooey cheese. Enjoy them as a snack, with a bowl of soup or stew, dip them in a yummy sauce, or with your favorite meal. They are easy to make; you need just a few simple ingredients. I think you are going to love them! They are addictive!
Table of Contents
About this recipe
These bread rolls might be one of the simplest recipes, but they are so delicious at the same time. They stay soft and fresh for days, as long as you keep them well-wrapped.
You can make the dough by hand or use a stand mixer, which makes the process even easier. The dough is soft, smooth, and very easy to work with. Although, it does take time to proof, the whole process, from making the dough to the finished product, is quick, and you can have the bread rolls ready for lunch.
How to make bread rolls with cheese: Step by step
To make this recipe, you can mix the dough by hand or use a stand mixer.
Step 1: First, I activate the yeast by combining warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let it bloom. Then, I add the melted butter or oil, and lastly the flour and salt. Knead until smooth dough. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let it rest in a warm place until it doubles the size.
Step 2: Once the dough has risen, transfer it to a floured flat surface. Using a rolling pin, make an 18″x 10″ (46cm x 26cm) rectangle. Cut the rolled dough into 12 pieces.
Step 3: Grate medium-to-firm cheese and add it to each piece of dough. Roll each one into a log and place it into a greased baking dish or on top of parchment paper, leaving some space between each roll. Cover it with a towel and let it rest for about an hour.
Step 4: Before baking, brush each roll with bitten egg and sprinkle some more shredded cheese or sesame seeds on top.
Step 5: Preheat the oven for 15 minutes before baking. Then place them on the middle rack and bake for 15-20 minutes, or till they are golden brown on top.
Additions and substitutions
I love recipes that are versatile and this one is no exception:
- You can leave out the cheese and have them as plane bread buns
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and cheese
- Add sausage or pepperoni
- Add pesto
- Mix different cheeses
- Make them sweet, by adding jam, chocolate, or dry fruits
The options are endless. Play with different combinations, have fun, and find the filling you like the most.
Storage & reheating
You can store these bread rolls in an airtight container at room temperature.
Freeze them for up to 3 months.
Reheat them, if frozen, in the microwave or oven till soft.
What type of cheese to use?
You can use a variety of cheeses. I like mozzarella, feta, or cheddar cheese. You can experiment with the type of cheese you like, or even mix a few of them.
Can I freeze the rolls?
Yes, you can. Once you bake them, let them cool completely before freezing. Wrap them well and freeze them for up to three months.
Can they be made vegan?
Yes. You can use olive oil, or oil of your choice, instead of butter, and vegan cheese instead of regular.
SAVORY ROLLS WITH VEGGIES AND CHEESE – great for breakfast, on the go, as an afternoon snack, or as a substitute for bread with your meal.
CHALLAH BREAD – it’s delicious not only as is, but you can also make it into a French toast or Bread pudding. You can freeze it and use it later. Basically, you have no reason not to make it!
BANITSA: BULGARIAN CHEESE PIE – Banitsa, a.k.a. cheese pie, is a traditional Bulgarian dish. Layers of phyllo dough with a cheesy mixture in between. I love how easy and quick is to make, which makes it perfect for breakfast or a snack.
I would love to connect with you! Let me know if you try this recipe, and please leave a star review ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ for others to see. This helps people find the recipe.
Subscribe to my mailing list so you can be the first one to get my newest recipes.
EASY BREAD ROLLS WITH CHEESE RECIPE
- 200 ml Lukewarm water 1 cup
- 30 g Sugar 2 tbsp
- 7 g Instant Yeast 2¼ tsp
- 390 g AP Flour or Bread Flour 3 cups
- 2 t Salt
- 50 g Melted Butter, or Olive oil 1/4 cup
- 250 g Mozzarella cheese or cheese of your choice
- 1 Beaten egg
- Activate the yeast by combining the water, sugar, and instant yeast in a bowl. Leave for a few minutes until it blooms (foam up on top).
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt. When the yeast is ready add it to the flour and pour in the melted butter or olive oil. You can start by mixing it with a wooden spoon or a silicon spatula, then use your hands. Knead until smooth. Oil a bowl and transfer the dough. Flip it on all sides so it gets the oil from the bowl. This way, it won't dry out as it rises. Cover it with a towel and let it rise until it doubles in size. This may take up to an hour or longer, depending on the room temperature.
- When the dough has doubled its size, transfer it to a flat surface and roll the dough to an 18"x 10" (46cmx 26cm) rectangular. Cut it in half lengthways and then perpendicular into 12 pieces(see photos).
- Add the shredded cheese to each of the cut-out pieces and roll each one into a log. Save some cheese to top them off before baking.
- Arrange them into a pan leaving some space between each bun, as they need space to rise. Cover with a towel and let them rest and rise for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) 15 minutes before baking.
- When ready to bake brush each bun with a beaten egg. Optional, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top or more shredded cheese.
- Bake on the middle rack (no fan) for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top.