I’ll be honest this Rhubarb Strawberry Butter happened by accident. And I’m glad it did! I was testing a Strawberry Rhubarb Balsamic Cake and as a filling I created this absolutely delicious butter.
I realized this butter is not only good on cakes but you can use it in anything you like. It’s great on a toast, with ice cream or anywhere you would use nut butter or a jam.
It’s so creamy and luscious, you’ll want more and more!
What you will need:
Balsamic Reduction (optional)
The process is pretty straight forward. Chopped the berries and rhubarb, lay them on a parchment paper lined baking tray and drizzle with balsamic reduction (if using).
Bake it 350F (176C) for 30min. After that transfer them into a blender and blend for a few seconds, till it’s pureed.
Ones it’s pureed, transfer to a saucepan and cook with butter and sugar on low. You have to stir frequently so it doesn’t burn on the bottom. You will know its ready when you run a spoon through and it leaves a trail.
At this point, you can let it cool and transfer to a jar. But make sure it has completely cooled before you close the jar.
*You could use a sieve to get it extra smooth, but I do like the strawberry seeds in it.
Keep it in the fridge for up to 3 weeks, although I don’t think it will last that long.
I really love the flavor of this Rhubarb Strawberry Butter. The combination of sweet and sour, plus the creaminess, creates the perfect package.
Some people think rhubarb is too sour, but I think combining it with the right ingredients is the key.
It works great in pies and oatmeal. Can be added to any baking, and with this recipe, is perfect in ice cream.
If you are a fan of tangy, sour flavors like me I also have this Hibiscus Panna Cotta recipe, which is also super yum! Very light, not too sweet, perfect summer dessert, or if you are looking for something not too heavy after a big dinner.
If you haven’t subscribed to my mailing list yet, I highly recommend you do. I won’t spam your mailbox, but only send you delicious new recipes and updates.
Rhubarb Strawberry Butter
- 350 g Fresh Strawberries
- 250 g Fresh Rhubarb 1 stalk
- 70 g Sugar 1/3 Cup
- 50 g Butter
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Reduction Optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F (176C).
- Chopped the strawberries and rhubarb into about 1/4 inch thick.
- Transfer them into a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Spread them in one layer so all the pieces can cook evenly.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction and bake for 30 min.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and blend till it becomes a puree. Just a few seconds.
- After that transfer to a saucepan, add the sugar and butter and cook on low. Stir frequintely to prevent burning.
- It will take about 30 min or so. The best way to know when it's done is when you run a spoon through it will leave a trail.
- Ones thickened remove from heat and let it cool. When completely cooled, transfer to a jar. Keep sealed in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.