When I made the Yogurt Pancakes I thought they were the best, but wait till you try these Ricotta Pancakes! They are also so, so good! Definitely at the top of the list. Super fluffy, light and airy, AND very tasty!
These ricotta pancakes are so easy to make, with just a few ingredients, you can make your breakfast in no time. Plus, they bring happiness with every bite. Don’t believe me? Try them and let me know. 😉
PANCAKES = HAPPINESS!😄
About this recipe
For this recipe I added fresh blueberries which I happen to have and also shaved chocolate.
The addition of blueberries brings freshness and extra flavor. I like adding them to the batter because when they cook they burst and create an almost jammy type of texture.
If you want to be extra indulgent adding shaved chocolate or chocolate chip will not only bring a smile to your face but you most likely be dancing after you try them… and if you do, I would love to see your moves!!! 💃🏼🕺🏽
Ricotta cheese: I want to say a few words about the Ricotta cheese used in this recipe. I know it can vary from brand to brand or country to country. A different texture will result in a different batter thickness.
The Ricotta cheese I use for this recipe is very thick, if you are using a lighter type, then use less milk. That way the batter won’t be too loose. Or if you want, you can strain the ricotta cheese overnight, using a cheesecloth or nut milk bag, to get all the liquid out.
Just don’t worry, it will still be delicious. Have fun cooking! It’s not supposed to be stressful, but joyful!
How to make ricotta pancakes: step by step
First, gather all the ingredients. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, egg, and milk.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients creating a smooth batter. It should be not too thick and not too thin in consistency (see video for reference).
Next, you can add fresh blueberries, or chocolate to the batter, or leave it plane.
I added a video below to show you the consistency of the batter.
Scoop few tablespoons of the batter to a preheated skillet greesed with some butter or oil. Cook on medium heat till bubbles start forming on the surface of the pancakes. Flip and cook for 20-30 more seconds.
Serve imadiatly with your favorite toppings such as berries, bananas, maple syrup, honey, or chocolate cause, to name a few.
- Make sure your ricotta is well-drained. Excess moisture can lead to soggy pancakes.
- Let the batter rest for about 10-15 minutes before cooking. This allows the flour to hydrate and the leavening agents to activate, resulting in fluffier pancakes.
- Wait until you see small bubbles forming on the surface of the pancakes before flipping. This indicates that the bottom is cooked and the pancakes are ready to be turned over. Once flipped check for doneness by gently pressing the center of a pancake – it should spring back when cooked.
Storage & reheating
Ricotta pancakes are best eaten as soon as they are made. If you have leftover you can store them covered at room temperature for up to a day. You can freeze them in freezer safe bag with parchment paper in between each pancake for up to a month.
To reheat the pancakes, let them thaw at room temperature, then warm them up in a hot pan, toaster, oven, or a microwave.
Can I use low-fat ricotta cheese for the pancakes?
Yes, you can use low-fat ricotta, but keep in mind that it may affect the overall flavor and fluffiness of the pancakes.
Can I substitute the flour with almond flour or other gluten-free flours?
Yes, you can experiment with gluten-free flours like almond flour or a gluten-free baking mix. Keep in mind that the texture and taste may differ from using traditional flour, so it might take some trial and error to get the right consistency.
Why do my pancakes turn out flat or dense?
Flat or dense pancakes could be the result of overmixing the batter, using expired leavening agents, or cooking on too high of a heat. Also, ensure that your baking powder and baking soda are fresh and active.
My pancakes stick to the pan. How can I prevent this?
Make sure your skillet or griddle is well-greased with butter, oil, or non-stick spray before pouring the batter. Also, ensure that you’re waiting for bubbles to form on the surface before flipping, as this indicates the pancake is ready to turn.
Are ricotta pancakes suitable for savory toppings?
Yes, ricotta pancakes can be enjoyed with both sweet and savory toppings. Consider toppings like smoked salmon, herbs, sautéed vegetables, or cream cheese.
More recipes to try
YOGURT PANCAKES – One more great pancake recipe! Light, fluffy, super easy, and quick to make, this is the perfect breakfast for the whole family.
I would love to connect with you! Let me know if you try this recipe and please leave a star review for other people to see. This helps the site a lot and more people to find the recipe.
Subscribe to my mailing list so you can be the first to get my recipes as soon as they are ready!
- 120 g AP Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 t Baking Soda
- 1 Egg
- 120 g Ricotta cheese
- 100 g Milk
- Fresh Blueberries, Chocolate chips
- In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- In a second bowl whisk the egg, ricotta cheese, and milk. Mix them till smooth.
- Transfer the wet ingredients to the dry and mix everything. At this point, you can add any toppings you would like, fresh blueberries, chocolate chips, etc. Let the batter rest for about 10-15 minutes giving time for the flour to hidrate and the baking soda to activate, creating a fluffy and light pancakes.
- Few minute befor cooking pre-heat a non-stick pan with a little bit of butter or oil of choice, on a medium heat stove.
- Scoop out the desired amount into the hot pan and cook until bubbles form on the surface of the pancakes. Flip and cook for 20-30 more seconds.
- Serve hot with any toppings of your choice.