Can I just say that this Chocolate Banana Cream Pie is the bomb!!! Crumbly texture, with layers of melted chocolate and creamy banana filling. Not your traditional type of pie, but so worth trying. This baby is truly delicious!
Easy to make, but also easily adjustable for any dietary restrictions. The filling has no dairy or butter, but you wouldn’t be able to tell, because it’s super creamy. The crust does have butter, but you can definitely use a dairy-free option. For gluten allergies, the crust can be made with gluten-free flour instead.
What is really great about this recipe is that all the ingredients are available all year round, which means you can make it anytime, as much as you want. And who doesn’t like that!
When I was a child, bananas weren’t available 24/7 like they are now. I grew up in a small town by the sea and my grandmother and I would go for a walk to the farmers market every week to get some groceries and of course, bananas! Knowing I will be getting a treat made me the happiest child.
I wish I can go back in time just to experience this moment once again and see my grandmother.
This is why I love food and cooking, it takes me back to certain moments in my life, which can be happy or sad, but moments that made me be who I am today.
The secret to the creamy filling is the combination of cashews, coconut condensed milk, and bananas. That’s right!!
And no, it doesn’t taste like coconut if you are concerned about that. If you don’t have coconut condensed milk and don’t mind the dairy, you can definitely use regular condensed milk. I have tried both and works great with either.
If you like this recipe I also have this Chocolate Banana Bread, which I highly recommend!
Now do yourself a favor and go make this chocolate banana cream pie!
Share your thoughts with me by leaving a comment below, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook. Would love to see your creations.
*This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
CHOCOLATE BANANA CREAM PIE
- 255 g AP Flour 1 3/4 C
- 50 g Raw Cane Sugar 1/4 C
- 2 g Baking Powder 1/2 Tsp
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- Pinch salt
- 1 C Cashews
- 420 g Coconut condensed milk 2 C
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 85 g Dark Chocolate 1/2 C
- 2 bananas
- Pinch salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the crust. Mix using your hands till everything is incorporated and you are able to shape a ball. Flatten the ball into a 1-inch thick disk. Wrap in plastic and transfer to the fridge, while you prepare the filling.
- For the filling, you can soak the cashews overnight or for at least 4 hours. If you haven’t done that you can speed up the process and soak them in a hot water for about 20 min. Ones they are soaked, drain the water and transfer the cashews into a blender. Add the condensed milk, vanilla, one banana and pinch of salt. Blend on high till smooth and creamy.
- Take the crust out of the fridge and roll it into about 1/4inch thickness. If you can’t roll it so thin, you can transfer it into a 9” springform and use your hands to spread it evenly and to the sides about 1-1 ½ inch tall edge. Pinch few holes in the crust using a fork. Put it back in the fridge. Roughly chop the chocolate. Slice the other banana into a thin coin shape, about a 1/8 inch thick. When you are done take the springform out of the fridge and sprinkle the chocolate over the crust. Add the filling on top and cover the top with the thinly sliced banana.
- Transfer to the oven on the middle rack. Bake for about 55min. When the top starts to turn golden and the edges of the crust start to brown, the pie is ready. Let it cool off a bit before you take it out from the springform.
- Keep at room temperature for up to 3 days. In the fridge up to a week, if it last that long!
Leave a Reply