*This post contains affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
Have you ever tried Rugelach cookies? If you haven’t, stop everything you are doing right now a make them! Well, not really… but I think you won’t be sorry.
This rugelach cookies I made are by following Elena’s (@elena_photofood) recipe. She always makes delicious baked goods. I do love creating my own recipes, but sometimes I like to try other people creations and support their work.
Although most of the time even when I do make someone else’s recipe I usually change it up to my liking. Although for this one I made it as it is. Its super easy to make and you don’t need tones of crazy ingredients.
I had Rugelach coockies very long time ago and I loved them. So it was nice to try them again, plus make them myself.
For this recipe you will need five main ingredients:
1. A.P. Flour
2. Cottage cheese
4. Baking Powder
I do add vanilla, cinnamon and orange zest, but they can be optional.
Cottage cheese is very popular in Russia and used in many dishes. It also has a different texture from the one we buy here in the States. Make sure to use whole milk cottage cheese( I use 4% fat).
Since the cheese will be part of the rugelach dough, make sure it’s smooth and creamy, which most likely won’t be straight from the package. You will need to blend it in a food processor or a blender for a few seconds to achieve that texture.
Lets talk about the dough!!!
Ones the rugelach cookies dough is made, you will need to chill it in the fridge for about an hour. After this, all you have to do is divide the dough into two parts. While you are working with one of the halves, keep the other one in the fridge.
Roll out the dough about 1/8″ thick, into a circle about 14 ” in diameter. Ones its rolled out I like to sprinkle sugar all over and press the sugar with the rolling pin into the dough. You don’t need to press hard, but just enough so the sugar sticks to the dough. Following that, generously sprinkle cinnamon, orange zest, and more sugar.
Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, divide into 16 pieces. You can definitely make rugelach cookies bigger in size, but it’s really up to you. NOTE: The size can affect the baking time!
Starting from the outer edge roll each triangle into the center, place on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat till you have all the cookies ready to bake. Using a pastry brush cover the rugelach cookies with egg wash and sprinkle some sugar on top.
Bake, bake, bake!
And you have yourself some delicious, flaky, crispy rugelach cookies!!
Would love to hear if you made them! Share your thoughts in the comments or if you have any questions. You can also find me on Instagram and tag me with your creations.
- 400 g Cottage cheese 4% or higher
- 400 g AP flour
- 250 g Butter room temperature
- 2 t Baking Powder
- 1 t Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg
- Zest from 2 oranges
- 150 g Sugar
- Cinnamon to your taste.
Filling Option ll
- 32 g Poppy seeds (Soaked in hot water for 15-20min) 1/4 cup
- 150 g Sugar
- In a bowl combine cottage cheese and butter (room temperature). Mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attached.
- Add sifted flour, vanilla, and baking powder. Mix till everything is incorporated.
- Wrap the dough with a plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- After an hour separate the dough into two parts. Keep one in the fridge, while you are working with the other half.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F
- On a floured surface roll the dough into about 14″ circle, 1/4″ thick.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top and press it into the dough with the rolling pin. Don’t need to press too hard just enough for the sugar to stick to the dough. Generously sprinkle cinnamon, orange zest and the rest of the sugar.
- With a sharp knife or pizza cutter divide the circle into 16 pieces.
- Roll each triangle from the outer edge towards the inside. Place it on a parchment paper lined baking tray. Make sure the end of the tail on each cookie is tucked under, so it doesn’t roll out when baking.
- Ones you have all the cookies ready to bake beat one egg and brush each cookie. Sprinkle more sugar on top.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30-35 min, or till golden brown.
- When ready transfer them to a cooling rack. Enjoy!