These cute little mini chocolate cakes are the ideal party dessert. Easy to make, moist, and so perfect for any chocolate lover. You can make them any size you want and have enough for everyone. Rich, spongy chocolate layers with silky cream cheese frosting and more chocolate ganache on top. Decorate with your favorite toppings or leave it as is. Everyone will love them!
Why make this recipe?
There are many reasons why you should make this recipe. Starting with how delicious it is!
Easy to make.
Perfect individual size pieces.
It can be made into one two-layer round cake.
It’s perfect for a Birthday or any party. Cut into desired size mini cakes.
How to make mini chocolate cakes?
These mini chocolate cakes are seriously very easy to make. First, I make sure to sift the flour, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Then I mix in the sugar.
Tip! Sifting might seem like an extra step but it’s very important when working with flour or powdered type of ingredients. Cacao powder especially tends to clump together easily, which can result in lumps of cacao in the batter. Plus, sifting will add more air to the batter, which will create a lighter cake texter when baked.
In a separate bowl, I combine the sour cream, the milk/vinegar mixture or buttermilk, eggs, olive oil, espresso, and vanilla. Whisk it all till smooth.
Then, I add the dry ingredient into the wet mixture, folding gently just till no dry patches remain.
I transfer the batter into a parchment-lined baking pan (8″x8″, or 20x20cm), or if making one round cake, I use 8″ or 9″ (20cm or 23cm) springform.
If you are not using parchment paper, make sure to grease the bottom and sides of the dish with butter or oil.
Bake at 325F or 160C on the middle rack for about 45 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before transferring to a wired rack to completely cool.
Making the cream cheese chocolate frosting
To make the cream cheese frosting I like to use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or you can use a hand mixer instead. To the bowl, I add all the ingredients and beat till smooth and creamy. Make sure to sift the cacao powder and powder sugar to prevent any lumps of either remaining in the frosting.
Assembling the cake
Once the cake has completely cooled cut it in half through the center using a large serrated (bread) knife, or a wire cake cutter. Add the cream cheese frosting to one of the halves and spread evenly. Place the other half on top, pressing slightly.
Make the ganache and spread it over the whole cake or slice the cake first and then add the ganache on top. You can leave it as is, or add extra shaved chocolate on top or sprinkles of your choice.
How to make chocolate ganache?
There are a few ways you can make chocolate ganache. Here is how:
- Option 1 – In a heatproof bowl add the chopped chocolate and place the bowl over a simmering (not boiling!) water (the double boiler method). Make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Once the chocolate is melted add the heavy cream and mix till smooth.
- Option 2 – Heat the heavy cream. Chop the chocolate very fine, the smaller the pieces the faster it will melt. Pour the hot heavy cream over the chocolate and let it sit for a little bit. Then, stir and mix till smooth and creamy.
- Option 3 – You can melt the chocolate in a microwave, but do it on the lower power so the chocolate doesn’t scorch. Start with 30 seconds intervals, as you scrap the sides of the bowl and mix each time. When it starts to melt more, lower the time interval to 10-15 seconds. Don’t microwave till completely melted, the few remaining solid pieces should melt from the heat of the melted chocolate. If they still don’t melt then place it back in the microwave for 5-10 second. Once the chocolate is melted add the heavy cream and stir till smooth.
Tips for making perfect chocolate mini cakes
- Sift the flour and cacao powder! This process helps prevent lumps and it incorporates air into the batter, which makes a light and airy cake.
- Baking at a lower temperature will prevent the cake from forming a dome. 20-30 degrees less can make a big difference.
- For the cream cheese frosting sift the cacao powder and powdered sugar. This will assure for a smooth lumps-free creamy frosting.
How to store mini chocolate cakes?
You can keep them covered at room temperature for the first day. If you need to store them overnight I suggest keeping them covered in the fridge. Just take them out from the fridge at least an hour before serving.
You can also warm them up in the oven for a few minutes, or microwave them.
Yes. I recommend size 8″ 0r 9″(20cm or 23cm) springform.
Yes. Use the same ratios.
Yes, you can use thick (Greek-style) yogurt instead.
Yes. You can mix 1 tbsp instant coffee with 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) hot water.
More chocolate recipes!
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE SPREAD – Get out of the way Nutella!!! This recipe is so much better and healthier, plus super easy to make. You can use it with so many things, spread it on toast, use it in baking, make desserts, or just eat it by a spoonful. Finger-licking good!
CHOCOLATE PANNA COTTA – If you are looking for a lighter dessert, then this baby is for you. Light, chocolaty, and easy to make in no time. Last-minute dinner recipe for a perfect ending!
THE BEST EASY CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD RECIPE – Can’t go wrong with bananas and chocolate, am I right!? Slice of this soft, moist, and perfectly delicious banana bread is the best, um… any time of the day😉. With a cuppa coffee or tea, sweet craving, or a snack, you will love it and make it often, I promise.
I love hearing from you and always happy to help with any questions. If you try this recipe let me know how you like it by leaving a comment below or tagging me on Instagram. You can also find me on Facebook and save my recipes on your favorite Pinterest board.
MINI CHOCOLATE CAKES RECIPE: PERFECT PARTY DESSER
- 130 ml Milk, 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 260 g AP Flour, 2 cups
- 1 t Baking Powder
- ½ t Baking Soda
- ¼ t Salt
- 50 g Cacao Powder, 1/2 cup
- 200 g Raw cane sugar or White sugar, 1 cup
- 125 g Sour Cream, 1/2 cup
- 2 Eggs
- 50 ml Olive oil
- 60 ml Espresso, double shot
- 1-2 t Vanilla extract
Cream cheese frosting
- 200 g Cream cheese
- 70 g Powder sugar, 1/2 cup
- 30 ml Heavy cream, 2 tbsp
- 25 g Cacao powder
- 1 t Vanilla extract
- 125 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 60 ml Heavy cream 4 tbsp
- 1-2 tbsp Sprinkles, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325F(160C)
- Add vinegar to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes till it gets a bit thicker and become buttermilk, or just use buttermilk instead.
- In a bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cacao powder. Then add the sugar. Mix together.
- In a separate bowl combine sour cream, the milk/vinegar mixture or buttermilk, eggs, olive oil, espresso, and vanilla. Whisk everything well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and gently fold. Transfer to an 8×8"(20x20cm) square baking dish lined with parchment paper(or oiled) and bake for 45 min. or till a toothpick comes out clean. Note: Every oven is different so start checking after 30 min.* If you want to make one round cake I suggest 8"-9" (20-23cm) size springform.
- Take out of the oven when ready and let it cool on a cooling rack.
Cream cheese frosting
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand-mixer combine cream cheese, powder sugar, heavy cream, cacao powder, and vanilla. Mix till smooth.
- When the cake is completely cooled slice it into two layers and add the cream cheese frosting, spreading it evenly. Place the other half on top and gently press. At this point, you can cut it into individual pieces, or add the ganache first and then slice.
- Chop the chocolate very fine and add to a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and let it melt, stirring occasionally till melted. Note: Make sure water doesn't get inside the bowl or it will seize the chocolate. To do that, make sure the water doesn't touch the bowl and it's not boiling too hard, but just simmering. The steam from the water is enough to melt the chocolate. *For other options on how to make chocolate ganache check the post section above.Add the heavy cream to the melted chocolate and whisk it till smooth. Spread it over the cake. If you desire sprinkle shaved chocolate on top, sprinkles, or leave it as it is. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply