*This post contains affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
There is one thing I can eat every day and that is soup! A nourishing, soothing, and satisfying bowl of goodness. And guess what? This Split Pea Vegetable Soup is one of them! It’s full of flavor, easy to make, and perfect for a chilly day. The extra warmth you feel when you take a spoonful feels like a cozy blanket wrapping you inside out.
This delicious Split Pea Vegetable Soup can be easily made dairy-free. The only dairy product I use is a little bit of butter when sauteeing the veggies. And of course, you can substitute it with oil of your choice to make it vegan.
It’s nourishing, good for digestion, light, and incredibly delicious!
For this recipe, I use a yellow split pea. They don’t require presoaking like lentils and they are easier to digest. Plus they make the soup creamier. You can also use green peas if that’s what you have. The difference between those two is that green peas are sweeter, whereas yellow peas have more of a mild and nutty flavor. Combining both can be a great idea too.
Both seeds have similar nutritional values. They provide a generous amount of minerals such as B vitamins, fiber, and they are high in protein and very low on fat. Also rich in manganese, vitamin C, copper, zinc. They are very good at managing the blood sugar in the body, thanks to the high fiber content, which prevents blood sugar levels to rise too quickly after a meal.
As you can see, you are not only making a delicious soup but providing your body with a good amount of nutrients in addition to all the benefits from the other veggies and herbs that are added to the soup.
So here is what you need to make this bowl of happiness:
Yellow Peas (or green, or both). Carrot. Zucchini. Potato. Onion. Coconut milk (regular cream will do too). Garlic. Herbs. I also added fresh ginger and turmeric for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Using the pot in which everything else will cook, I added the chopped onion and sautéed it with a little bit of butter
- Then I added the herbs and garlic. Let them cook for a few minutes to release their aromas.
- Added the chopped potato, carrot, and zucchini. Let them cook for a few more minutes, and then I added the coconut milk, water, and split peas.
- And last, I mixed in the grated ginger, turmeric, and chopped parsley. Added the water and a little bit of olive oil.
- Cook the soup for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. I check mid-way if I need to add more salt or pepper.
And that is all to it! Perfect Split Pea Vegetable Soup!
I think soups in general are easy to make, plus you end up with a big pot of soup for a few days ahead. But if you don’t want to eat soup every day, you can also freeze it. Simply transfer it to a glass container or individual portions and keep it in the freezer. Just make sure it has completely cooled before you do that.
After a savory meal I usually follow with a little sweet something, something! I have few ideas for you:
Chocolate Banana Cream Pie – Flaky crust filled with chocolate, banana cream, topped with extra banana slices, and baked to perfection! Ah-mazing!
Almond Coconut Chocolate Cookies – These babies are also very easy to make. You can make them while the soup is cooking, and they’ll be ready before even the soup is! They’ll be lovely with a cup of tea after dinner. If you want to keep it light, these cookies are a great option.
Well, thats it from me for now. I hope you make this recipe and enjoy it as much as I did!
Split Pea Vegetable Soup
- 1 C Yellow Split Peas or green, or mix of both
- 1 Carrot medium size
- 1 Zucchini medium size
- 1 Potato medium size
- 1 Onion – small size or 1/2 large
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 can Coconut Milk or regular cream
- 2 t Salt more to taste
- 1/4 t Black Pepper
- 1 thumb size Fresh Turmeric or 1t Turmeric powder
- 1 thumb size Fresh Ginger or 1t Ginger powder
- 1 bunch Parsley about 1/2 cup chopped
- 1 t Savory dry
- 1 t Thyme dry
- 1 t Oregano dry
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1500 ml Water
- 2 tbsp Butter/Ghee or oil of your choice
- Chope the onion, carrot, potato, zucchini, and garlic.
- In the same pot in which you will cook the soup, add the butter, let it melt, then add the chopped onion, and the dry herbs (savory, thyme, oregano, and bay leaves). Sautee for about 5min. on medium heat.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook a minute or two before adding the chopped carrot, pot, and zucchini.
- Add salt and pepper. Mix everything well.
- Add the coconut milk, split peas, and freshly grated turmeric and ginger. Mix everything.
- Chop the parsley and add to the pot.
- Add the water and the olive oil. Cover and cook on slow to medium heat for about 50min. Stirring ocasionaly.
- Taste the soup midway through cooking, if it needs more salt or spices.