These Coconut Almond and Dulce de Leche Cookies are made to love! The beautiful combination of dulce de leche, coconut, and crunchy almonds makes the perfect cookie to enjoy any time you crave something sweet and tasty.
The day I came up with this recipe was one of those rare days when the wifi went down and I had to change my plans. But, then this goodness came to life, and life was good again.
I didn’t really plan for it. After taking a look in the pantry, I saw the shredded coconut and knew I wanted to make something with it. Then, I looked at The Flavor Bible for inspiration and flavor combination ideas. And in less than an hour, I had crunchy, chewy, caramel-y bites of joy.
Ingredients and preparation are simple. Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients. Combine. Bake. Done.
What I want to talk about a little is the Dulce de leche. I know it can be hard to find it sometimes, but luckily you can make it yourself.
What is Dulce de leche?
Dulce de leche is made with milk and sugar, which has been cooked for a few hours till it becomes thicker and darker in color. It’s most similar to caramel. It has the same color and consistency, and even the taste is similar. Caramel, on the other hand, is made with sugar, butter, and cream. And the process of making caramel is much quicker.
The great thing about Dulce de Leche is that if you can’t find it in the store, you can easily make it yourself. All you need is milk and sugar. You can add vanilla if you fancy, but that’s all you need. …and time.
Another option, which is often used, is to boil a can of condensed milk, which will turn into dulce de leche.
The way you do it is to put the can in a dip saucepan or pot filled with water. The water needs to cover the can completely throughout the whole time while cooking.
It will take about 3-4 hours, which means the water will be evaporating during that time. You need to keep an eye on it. If the water starts to lower, you might need to add more. The reason for keeping the can underwater the whole time is to prevent it from exploding.
Why do I like this recipe?
What I like about these cookies is not only how easy they are to make, but also how versatile they are. You can actually eat them as a snack, on the go, add them to your kids’ lunchboxes, or just have them with a glass of milk or cuppa coffee.
They can easily count as a healthy-er snack.
No added sugar, except the one in the dulce de leche, no saturated oils, and no unnecessary ingredients.
Let me show you how to make them.
How to make coconut almond and dulce de leche cookies?
Note: For exact measurements, see the recipe card below.
Have all your ingredients ready. Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the coconut and chopped almonds, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and dulce de leche.
Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until well combined.
Use a spoon or a cookie scoop to create each cookie. Wet your hands so the dough doesn’t stick to them. Roll a ball and then press on it to create the cookie shape. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Leave about 1.5 inches (4 cm) of space between each cookie.
Bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 25–30 minutes, depending on your oven. When the cookies are golden on top, they are ready. Pull them out and transfer them to a cooling rack. Once they are cooled, I like to drizzle them with extra Dulce de leche on top. Messy, but so good!
I hope you’ll give them a try and love them as much as I do. And don’t forget to let me know when you do try them. You can leave a comment below or get in touch with me through my contact page, Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.
If you like chocolate, I also have a similar Almond coconut chocolate cookie recipe which is also super-duper delicious. It also happens to be gluten-free and can easily be made dairy-free.
COCONUT ALMOND DULCE DE LECHE COOKIE RECIPE
- Baking tray
- Cookie scoop
- Mixing Bowls
- Parchment Paper
- 120 g AP Flour 1 cup
- 100 g Desiccated/shredded coconut 1 cup
- 75 g Almond 1/2 cup, plus extra for decoration
- 1 t Baking Powder
- 1/4 t Salt
- 1 Egg
- 50 g Coconut Oil 1/4c, melted
- 1 t Vanilla Extract
- 100 g Dulce de Leche 1/2 cup
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C)
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Chop the almonds.
- In a bowl sift the flour, add coconut, chopped almonds, baking powder, and salt. Mix everything.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg. Add the cooled coconut oil, and Dulce de Leche. Mix till smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry. Stir everything together.
- Scoop out the dough and form a golf size ball. Shape it into a cookie shape (see photos).
- Place each cookie on the baking tray leaving about 1.5-2 inches distance between each one.
- This is optional but you can decorate each cookie by gently pressing an almond at the center of each.
- Transfer to the oven. Bake for 25-30min. Time varies depending on your oven. Start checking after 20min. When they become golden on top, they are ready.
- Pull them out and transfer them to a cooling rack. Once cooled you can drizzle them with an extra Dulce de Leche.
- You can keep them at room temperature for up to a week. Or even better, in an airtight container for longer freshness.
Leave a Reply