This traditional Bulgarian cold summer soup called Tarator is my favorite thing to make and eat during the hot summer days. Not only it’s very easy to make, but it’s so refreshing and good for you too! Made with a few simple ingredients, no heat required, and no special equipment. If you haven’t tried it before, I highly recommend you do!
What is Tarator soup?
Tarator is a traditional Bulgarian cold summer soup, made of cucumbers, fresh dill, garlic, walnuts, yogurt, oil, and water. If you’ve heard of Tzatziki it’s similar, but it has a different consistency. It’s the perfect refreshing healthy meal you need on a hot summer day! Very easy to make, simple ingredients, and most importantly no heat required. Just by looking at the ingredients, you can tell it’s super light and good for you.
In the summertime, you can find it at every restaurant and very often made at home. Even if you can’t cook, you can’t mess this one up!
Ready in minutes!
What I also really like about this soup is that it retains the benefits of all the ingredients. You get not only a delicious meal but also very nutritious.
Benefits of this cold summer soup!
- Cucumbers for example are made up of mostly water, but they also have lots of minerals and vitamins. It’s high in antioxidants, promotes hydration, may lower blood sugar, and overall clean your body from the inside out.
- Yogurt, as you probably know, is made by bacteria fermentation which results in an incredibly gut-friendly food. It’s high in protein, calcium, B vitamins, and if you have (or not) digestion problems, including yogurt into your diet is a great idea.
- Dill is one of my favorite herbs. I love how it brights up a dish and adds so much flavor. But, it doesn’t only taste good, it’s also very nutritious, provides the body with several vitamins like vitamin C, A, and manganese. Also, it’s high in antioxidants, good for the heart, and can lower high blood sugar.
- Walnuts are packed with goodies! They provide healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and many more nutrients. They are also known for being high in omega-3s, to support brain function, help with lowering or preventing diabetes, support a healthy gut, and more.
- Garlic is probably the king of healthy foods! Packed with nutrients, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and so so much more!
As you can see this soup might be one of the most nutritious meals you can ever eat.
There is not really much other to say, besides you need to try this recipe and I guarantee you will make it again and again! And when you do, please let me know how do you like it. Comment below, or tag me on Instagram or Facebook.
For more delicious recipes like this I recommend:
THE BEST SPLIT PEA VEGETABLE SOUP – Not a cold soup, but supper delicious veggie soup. It has so much flavor you will go for a second bowl.
HIBISCUS PANNA COTTA – This dessert recipe is perfect for summer. It’s light, elegant, sexy! The perfect way to end a meal.
*This post contains affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
Tarator – Traditional Bulgarian Cold Summer Soup
- 2 Cucumbers Large
- 4 Garlic cloves
- Handful of fresh Dill
- 50 g Walnuts Raw or roasted
- 400 g Yogurt
- 2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Black Pepper
- 720 ml Water 3 Cups
- Chop the cucumbers into small pieces. Finely chop the garlic, or use a garlic presser. Chop the dill and walnuts.
- Add the yogurt, salt, and pepper. Mix everything. Then add the water. Mix one more time.
- Transfer to the fridge for at least an hour or till cold. Serve and enjoy.