This traditional Bulgarian cold summer soup, called Tarator, is my favorite thing to make and eat during the hot summer days. Not only is it very easy to make, but it’s so refreshing and good for you too! Made with a few simple ingredients, no heat is required, and no special equipment is needed. If you haven’t tried it before, I highly recommend you do!
What is Tarator soup?
Tarator is a traditional Bulgarian cold summer soup made with cucumbers, fresh dill, garlic, walnuts, yogurt, oil, and water. If you’ve heard of Tzatziki, it’s similar, but it has a different consistency. On a hot summer day, it’s the perfect refreshing, healthy meal! It is very easy to make with simple ingredients, and most importantly, no heat is required. Just by looking at the ingredients, you can tell it’s super light and good for you.
In the summertime, you can find it at every restaurant, but it is often made at home. Even if you can’t cook, you can’t mess this one up!
Ready in minutes!
What I also really like about this soup is that it retains the benefits of all the ingredients. You get not only a delicious meal but also a very nutritious one.
Benefits of this cold summer soup!
- Cucumbers for example are made up of mostly water, but they also have lots of minerals and vitamins. It’s high in antioxidants, promotes hydration, may lower blood sugar, and overall clean your body from the inside out.
- Yogurt, as you probably know, is made by bacteria fermentation which results in an incredibly gut-friendly food. It’s high in protein, calcium, B vitamins, and if you have (or not) digestion problems, including yogurt in your diet is a great idea.
- Dill is one of my favorite herbs. I love how it brights up a dish and adds so much flavor. But, it doesn’t only taste good, it’s also very nutritious, and provides the body with several vitamins like vitamin C, A, and manganese. Also, it’s high in antioxidants, good for the heart, and can lower high blood sugar.
- Walnuts are packed with goodies! They provide healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and many more nutrients. They are also known for being high in omega-3s, supporting brain function, helping with lowering or preventing diabetes, supporting a healthy gut, and more.
- Garlic is probably the king of healthy foods! Packed with nutrients, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and so so much more!
As you can see, this soup might be one of the most nutritious meals you can ever eat.
There is not really much else to say besides that you need to try this recipe, and I guarantee you will make it again and again! And when you do, please let me know how you like it.
THE BEST SPLIT PEA VEGETABLE SOUP – Not a cold soup, but a super delicious veggie soup. It has so much flavor that you will go for a second bowl.
HIBISCUS PANNA COTTA – This dessert recipe is perfect for summer. It’s light, elegant, and sexy! The perfect way to end a meal.
I would love to connect with you! Let me know if you try this recipe and please leave a star review for other people to see. This helps a lot the site and more people to find the recipe.
Subscribe to my mailing list so you can be the first one to get my recipes
TARATOR: TRADITIONAL BULGARIAN COLD SUMMER SOUP RECIPE
- 2 Cucumbers Large
- 4 Garlic cloves
- Handful of fresh Dill
- 50 g Walnuts Raw or roasted
- 400 g Yogurt
- 2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 720 ml Water 3 Cups
- Chop the cucumbers into small pieces. Finely chop the garlic, or use a garlic presser. Chop the dill and walnuts.
- Add the yogurt, salt, and pepper. Mix everything. Then add the water and olive oil. Mix one more time.
- Transfer to the fridge for at least an hour or till cold. Serve and enjoy.