This easy plum upside-down cake is not only quick to make, but also super delicious! When plum season comes around, this is one of the recipes you need to save and make. Super moist, light, sweet, and juicy. Everyone will enjoy it as a quick last-minute dessert or for a special occasion. And for extra goodness, you can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, just because.
If you haven’t made an upside-down cake yet or it never really turned out as good as you expected, then this recipe is one you need to try. I promise you will love it! It’s easy to make and tastes amazing. A perfect way to use seasonal fresh plums. In case you don’t have plums, you can easily substitute them with different fruits like peaches, apricots, or pears, just to name a few.
Tips for making Plum upside-down cake
To make the bottom nice and gooey, I use dark brown sugar. It has more flavor and a caramel-like taste. Sprinkle a generous amount of sugar on the bottom of the pan and then arrange the plums on top, or you can mix the plums with the sugar and then arrange them. It will caramelize nicely, and when turned upside down, the syrup from the plums and brown sugar will soak into the cake, creating a moist, delicious texture in every bite.
After the cake is baked, don’t turn it upside-down right away; let it cool for a few minutes. I find using a springform pan is easier when transferring the cake after it’s baked. The way I do it is to remove the ring of the springform, put a plate on top of the cake, and flip it. Then I remove the parchment paper.
How to make a plum upside-down cake: Step-by-step
- Line a springform with parchment paper. Butter the sides and bottom. You can either sprinkle the sugar first and then arrange the plum slices, or you can toss the slices with the sugar and then arrange them. Both ways work fine.
- Whisk the melted butter and sugar, then add the egg and yogurt and mix till incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cardamom (if using). Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Using a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, mix the flour into the wet ingredients, just enough until you don’t see any dry patches.
- Then transfer the batter on top of the arranged plums. Gently spread the batter over the top, transfer to the oven, and bake at 350F (180C) for about 20-25 minutes. Once the top begins to turn golden brown, check with a toothpick to see if it’s ready. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cook for a few minutes before you take it out of the springform. Once cooled, take a plate and place it on top of the cake, then flip it upside-down and remove the parchment paper.
- Enjoy the cake as is, while warm, or with a scoop of ice cream on top. It’s also delicious at room temperature. Keep it covered at room temperature for 2-3 days, if it lasts that long.
When you flip the cake upside-down, the syrup from the bottom will soak into the cake. This makes the cake moist, and the flavor from the plums gets absorbed by the layer below. What’s nice about using plums in this recipe is that they add not only sweetness but also a bit of sourness and depth of flavor. You really need to give it a try, and I am sure you’ll love it.
More recipes to try
EASY APRICOT RICOTTA GALETTE WITH HONEY DRIZZLE – This is also a very easy recipe and the perfect summer treat. Apricots are perfect for baking and full of flavor. Quick, easy, and delicious!
PERFECT STRAWBERRY AND CREAM CHEESE BARS – These bars are the best!!! I just love them. The combination of cream cheese, sweet strawberries, and the crumbly base is just perfect! Don’t skip this one!
PEACH GALETTE – Rustic flaky buttery crust, juicy peach filling, and the perfect amount of sweetness.
I would love to connect with you! Let me know if you try this recipe, and please leave a star review for other people to see. This helps the site a lot, and more people can find the recipe.
Subscribe to my mailing list so you can be the first to get my recipes as soon as they are ready!
THE BEST EASY PLUM UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE RECIPE
- 100 g Butter melted
- 100 g Dark Brown Sugar 1/2 cup
- 400 g Plums 3 -4 fresh plums
- 130 g Pastry flour or AP Flour 1 cup
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 100 g Granulated sugar 1/2 cup
- 120 g Yogurt, 4% fat or more 1/2 cup, or Sour Cream
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F(180F)
- Melt the butter.
- Line a 9 or 8 inch springform with parchment paper. Butter the sides and bottom.
- Sprinkle the dark brown sugar evenly on the bottom of the springform and arrange sliced plums. *Note: You can also mix the sliced plums with the brown sugar and then arrange them onto the springform.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cardamom(optional).
- In another bowl, whisk melted butter and granulated sugar. Add the yogurt and egg. Mix everything again. Add the flour mixture and mix just until to dry patches remain. Transfer the batter on top of the plums and gently spread.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes(dipanding on your oven) or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cook for a few minutes before taking it out of the springform.
- Add a plate on top of the cake and flip it upside-down. Remove the parchment paper. Enjoy!